North Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Duel Academy for everyone!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
The academy has been shut down, please click here for more details.

Over Powered Cards?

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Over Powered Cards? Empty
PostSubject: Over Powered Cards?   Over Powered Cards? EmptyWed Jun 10, 2015 5:43 am

So, lately I have been playing in TCG+OCG on Dueling Network and coming across some cards that I just think are ridiculously over powered. I wanted to mention them and talk a little bit about them and comment on why I think they could be over powered.

The first card is Chain Summoning.

Activate only as Chain Link 3 or higher. You can Normal Summon or Set up to 3 times this turn. You cannot activate this card if multiple cards/effects with the same name are in that Chain.

This card does not see that much play, I am aware of this, however I just feel that the ability to normal summon/set up to three times in one turn is ridiculously over powered. Although it has to activated as chain link 3 or higher, I feel it's not hard to achieve. I think tolerating Double Summon is fine, but having that ability to summon 3 times in one turn seems ridiculous. Imagine this in a monarch deck? They have Treeborn Frog on the field. They normal summon Caius the Shadow Monarch and banish 1 card on the field and possibly deal 1000 damage to you. After this they then normal summon Raiza the Storm Monarch then place 1 card from your side of the field to the top of your deck. After this they then continue to summon Mobius the Frost Monarch and destroy 2 of your Spell/Traps. This is one of the many examples I have that make this card pretty over powered in my opinion.

Then the second card is Number S0: Hope Zexal.

3 "Number" Xyz Monsters with the same Rank
(This card's original Rank is always treated as 1.)
You can also Xyz Summon this card by discarding 1 "Rank-Up-Magic" Normal Spell Card and using a "Utopia" monster you control as the Xyz Material. (Xyz Materials attached to that monster also become Xyz Materials on this card.) This card's Xyz Summon cannot be negated. When Xyz Summoned, your opponent cannot activate cards and effects. This card gains 1000 ATK and DEF for each Xyz Material attached to it. Once per turn, during your opponent's turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; your opponent cannot activate cards or effects for the rest of this turn (this is a Quick Effect).

This card is new and is currently in the OCG, and has yet to make its way over to TCG, so if you only play TCG then you have nothing to worry about just yet; yet. I faced this card earlier on and my opinion is derived from my own personal experience with this card. This card can be a 3000 beat stick that can't be touched by cards such as Bottomless Trap Hole,Torrential Tribute or even Solemn Warning for that matter, which already makes this card a pretty decent XYZ monster. Then when they pass the turn over to you, they can just as easily stop you from doing pretty much anything for up to 3 turns. You won't be able to activate cards or effects for these 3 turns. This is what I think turns this good card into an OP card. When I faced this card, I could do nothing but set monsters and hope for the best, for 3 whole turns. I think Konami may have been high when they made some of these cards.

The third card is Qliphort Towers.

Cannot be Special Summoned. Requires 3 "Qli" Tributes to Normal Summon/Set. If this card is Normal Summoned/Set, it is unaffected by Spell/Trap effects and by activated effects from any monster whose original Level/Rank is lower than this card's current Level. All Special Summoned monsters lose 500 ATK and DEF. Once per turn: You can make your opponent send 1 monster from their hand or their side of the field to the Graveyard (their choice).

This card may not be generic like the last two cards, but that doesn't mean I haven't got a permanent spot on my over powered list for him. It seems that lately I have been seeing more and more of this card from Qliphorts or ********** as I like to call them. (The name I prefer for them would not be appropriate for a public post) So anyway this card does need tribute summoning and is vulnerable to cards such as Solemn Warning, but that doesn't mean that it is not over powered. First of all it's untouchable effect means it cannot be so much as touched with spell or traps. This makes this card good. Then Konami went as far as to give it another untouchable effect where it cannot be touched by monster effects, if the monster has a lower rank/level than the level of himself. Now this is partially what makes the card over powered. At this stage Konami were not quite high enough to make a card that cannot be dealt with what so ever, and have left and out for you to get around this card. You can attack over it, or use the effect of a monster that has a higher level or rank. Here is my problem though, this card takes 500 atk and def from a monster that is special summoned. So in order to attack over it, you need a monster with 3500 attack at the very least. Let's face it though, how many decks ruun a card that they can go into that has 3500 atk or a rank/level higher than a level 10?

These are cards that I have found to be, in my own personal opinion, over powered. Do you agree? Do you disagree? Have you found some cards that you feel are over powered? If so, why? Let me know in the comments below! Smile
Back to top Go down
RustyGloves
Shadow Duelist
Shadow Duelist
RustyGloves

Immune to warnings? : Yes
Warnings : No Warning

Over Powered Cards? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Over Powered Cards?   Over Powered Cards? EmptyThu Jun 11, 2015 3:19 pm

*Judgment Dragon* wrote:
So, lately I have been playing in TCG+OCG on Dueling Network and coming across some cards that I just think are ridiculously over powered. I wanted to mention them and talk a little bit about them and comment on why I think they could be over powered.

The first card is Chain Summoning.

Activate only as Chain Link 3 or higher. You can Normal Summon or Set up to 3 times this turn. You cannot activate this card if multiple cards/effects with the same name are in that Chain.

This card does not see that much play, I am aware of this, however I just feel that the ability to normal summon/set up to three times in one turn is ridiculously over powered. Although it has to activated as chain link 3 or higher, I feel it's not hard to achieve. I think tolerating Double Summon is fine, but having that ability to summon 3 times in one turn seems ridiculous. Imagine this in a monarch deck? They have Treeborn Frog on the field. They normal summon Caius the Shadow Monarch and banish 1 card on the field and possibly deal 1000 damage to you. After this they then normal summon Raiza the Storm Monarch then place 1 card from your side of the field to the top of your deck. After this they then continue to summon Mobius the Frost Monarch and destroy 2 of your Spell/Traps. This is one of the many examples I have that make this card pretty over powered in my opinion.

Then the second card is Number S0: Hope Zexal.

3 "Number" Xyz Monsters with the same Rank
(This card's original Rank is always treated as 1.)
You can also Xyz Summon this card by discarding 1 "Rank-Up-Magic" Normal Spell Card and using a "Utopia" monster you control as the Xyz Material. (Xyz Materials attached to that monster also become Xyz Materials on this card.) This card's Xyz Summon cannot be negated. When Xyz Summoned, your opponent cannot activate cards and effects. This card gains 1000 ATK and DEF for each Xyz Material attached to it. Once per turn, during your opponent's turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; your opponent cannot activate cards or effects for the rest of this turn (this is a Quick Effect).

This card is new and is currently in the OCG, and has yet to make its way over to TCG, so if you only play TCG then you have nothing to worry about just yet; yet. I faced this card earlier on and my opinion is derived from my own personal experience with this card. This card can be a 3000 beat stick that can't be touched by cards such as Bottomless Trap Hole,Torrential Tribute or even Solemn Warning for that matter, which already makes this card a pretty decent XYZ monster. Then when they pass the turn over to you, they can just as easily stop you from doing pretty much anything for up to 3 turns. You won't be able to activate cards or effects for these 3 turns. This is what I think turns this good card into an OP card. When I faced this card, I could do nothing but set monsters and hope for the best, for 3 whole turns. I think Konami may have been high when they made some of these cards.

The third card is Qliphort Towers.

Cannot be Special Summoned. Requires 3 "Qli" Tributes to Normal Summon/Set. If this card is Normal Summoned/Set, it is unaffected by Spell/Trap effects and by activated effects from any monster whose original Level/Rank is lower than this card's current Level. All Special Summoned monsters lose 500 ATK and DEF. Once per turn: You can make your opponent send 1 monster from their hand or their side of the field to the Graveyard (their choice).

This card may not be generic like the last two cards, but that doesn't mean I haven't got a permanent spot on my over powered list for him. It seems that lately I have been seeing more and more of this card from Qliphorts or ********** as I like to call them. (The name I prefer for them would not be appropriate for a public post) So anyway this card does need tribute summoning and is vulnerable to cards such as Solemn Warning, but that doesn't mean that it is not over powered. First of all it's untouchable effect means it cannot be so much as touched with spell or traps. This makes this card good. Then Konami went as far as to give it another untouchable effect where it cannot be touched by monster effects, if the monster has a lower rank/level than the level of himself. Now this is partially what makes the card over powered. At this stage Konami were not quite high enough to make a card that cannot be dealt with what so ever, and have left and out for you to get around this card. You can attack over it, or use the effect of a monster that has a higher level or rank. Here is my problem though, this card takes 500 atk and def from a monster that is special summoned. So in order to attack over it, you need a monster with 3500 attack at the very least. Let's face it though, how many decks ruun a card that they can go into that has 3500 atk or a rank/level higher than a level 10?

These are cards that I have found to be, in my own personal opinion, over powered. Do you agree? Do you disagree? Have you found some cards that you feel are over powered? If so, why? Let me know in the comments below! Smile

Keep in mind my opinion on the matter may not be pertinent enough to the situation, but I would like to give you an idea of why they're not as powerful as you think.

#1 - Chain Summoning.
Your example was very nice, but the biggest problem is that to resolve this in Monarchs, they need to trigger another random chain like MST from hand or Maxx C or whatever after making the Monarch effect CL1, and it usually doesn't happen too often if at all. One way I know this works is if you play the continuous monarch cards they have that trigger upon summon, but that defeats the purpose of Frognarchs. Ghostricknarchs are maybe viable with this, but the time it takes for this to work out is kind of slow for the meta game and even some rogue decks. The card is nice and is a neat tech for those ideas and even gadgets (Devin knows all about this too well), but the card isn't as ridiculously overpowered, considering how Gadgets are more of a rogue meta deck and Monarchs can't effectively use this.

#2 - Number S0: Hope Zexal.
That's a pretty nifty card. However, I'm pretty sure there are cards like Compulsory or Pleiades or anything that can be used as spot removal AFTER the summoning window of the card can be chained, including cards that can chain to its own effect. I'm pretty sure it's still pretty nice, but considering how the setup can be messed up (like the Djinn Lock or just killing Utopia through means of summon negation or spot removal), it's like the set up for the Heroic Champion: Rhongomiant card. It takes too much to risk and a lot of things to throw away from hand or what not just to get a powerful, one time deal of a card. Royal Decree is an option just as it is for many other things, but like many things in Yu-Gi-Oh...it's situational.

#3 - Qliphort Towers.
I can't actually make a comment about this against rogue/tier 3 decks. Just hope you have torrential or bottomless on the monsters used for this thing to come out, or some sort of attack boost to beat over it like Honest or whatever (Bujingi Crane, Blackwing - Kalut the Moonshadow, etc.). HOWEVER...it's not impossible to beat over. Nekroz, the main competition of the deck, has an easy beater in the form of Trish + Decisive Armor. Satellarknights have Heroic Champion: Excalibur or whatever, other Qli decks (the card is terrible in the mirror) have their own scales to boost their monsters along with the Re-qliate or Chalice, and I'm pretty sure other decks have means to beat it too. It's unnecessarily strong, don't get me wrong, but I'm sure it doesn't receive as much play in the meta game for more experienced players than it seems.

Just my 2 cents. I think these cards are nice and strong for whatever they can support, but they aren't in my opinion overpowred and there are weaknesses to everything, just as the way Yu-Gi-Oh is.

tl;dr - Not as op as you think, every card and every deck has a weakness to exploit very well. Especially if it's a one-trick pony.
Back to top Go down

Over Powered Cards?
Page 1 of 1