North Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Duel Academy for everyone!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
The academy has been shut down, please click here for more details.

Lesson 02: The Prophecy Realised

Go down 
+4
TopGun
Shrek
Ω≈Siren's Song≈Ω
Nottu
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Nottu
Teacher
Nottu

Immune to warnings? : No

Lesson 02: The Prophecy Realised Empty
PostSubject: Lesson 02: The Prophecy Realised   Lesson 02: The Prophecy Realised EmptyTue Jan 06, 2015 1:46 pm

Hello and good day NA students and members. Roxie here with this week's lesson. After speaking to "The Maiden Slayer" last night, I realised that we don't need to constantly cover meta decks and mechanics for lessons and so this week, in honour of his help, we'll be covering one of this meta's rogue decks: Prophecy/Spellbooks.

The Prophecy monsters are a series of Spellcaster-type monsters who debuted during the early days of the Zexal era. Their primary focus is maintaining hand and field advantage by use of their "Spellbook" spells.

The Monsters of Prophecy

High Priestess of Prophecy

Lesson 02: The Prophecy Realised HighPriestessofProphecy-REDU-EN-ScR-UE
The boss monster of the deck and for some good reasons. High Priestes can be Special Summoned by revealing 3 Spellbooks from your hand, making her incredibly easy to play. Once a turn, she can banish a Spellbook from hand or Graveyard to pop any card and as a solid 2500 beater, she's a force to be reckoned with.

Run 2-3

Spellbook Magician of Prophecy

Lesson 02: The Prophecy Realised 443155
The most essential monster in the deck. Sort of like the Stratos of the Spellbooks, he can search for any Spellbook Spell card upon his Normal Summon or being flipped.

Run 3

Temperance of Prophecy

Lesson 02: The Prophecy Realised TemperanceofProphecy-REDU-EN-SR-1E
For even more ease of playing the Priestess. She can be tributed after you've already played a Spellbook to summon a level 5 or higher DARK or LIGHT Spellcaster from your deck. Even if you're not using High Priestess and are instead playing Reaper or maybe even World, Temperance is your girl.

Run 1-3 (deck variants need differnet counts)

Stoic of Prophecy

Lesson 02: The Prophecy Realised 300px-StoicofProphecy-ABYR-EN-C-1E
This little guy can fetch you your Temperances, your Justices or even your Hermits. All for the low low price of being sent to the Graveyard~

Run 0-2

Justice of Prophecy

Lesson 02: The Prophecy Realised Latest?cb=20130630173231
Rather than summoning a high level Spellcaster like Temperance, Justice can banish herself in the End Phase to add a high level Spellcaster to your hand alongside a new Spellbook. As long as you played a Spellbook spell during this turn.

Run Varies on build and preference

Hermit of Prophecy

Lesson 02: The Prophecy Realised ABYR-EN022
This guy is barely used but he can be handy if you plan to make Xyz plays often.

Run 0-1

Reaper of Prophecy

Lesson 02: The Prophecy Realised ReaperofProphecy-CBLZ-EN-SR-1E
This guy is unique in the sense that he needs an entire lineup change to be used right. If you're playing competitively, don't touch this guy.

Run 0

Prophecy Destroyer

Lesson 02: The Prophecy Realised Latest?cb=20130118185820
Also used for the Reaper builds and almost never seen in the Priestess style builds.

Run 0

World of Prophecy

Lesson 02: The Prophecy Realised Latest?cb=20140905091901
The big bad of the deck. A mixture of Judgment Dragon and Dark Magician of Chaos, he adds 2 Spellbooks from your Graveyard to your hand, and then if you have 4 different ones in your hand, nukes the entire board. Hell to the yes.

Run 0-1

Chariot of Prophecy, Strength of Prophecy, Amores of Prophecy, Emperor of Prophecy and Wheel of Prophecy

Utter crap, never use them.

Run 0

The Tomes of Prophecy: The Spellbooks

The essential core of the deck. These are what make the deck go and boy does it go.

Spellbook of Secrets

Lesson 02: The Prophecy Realised 300px-SpellbookofSecrets-REDU-EN-UR-1E
Adds any 1 Spellbook card to your hand from deck, except itself. The most important of the Spellbooks.

Run 3

Spellbook of Power

Lesson 02: The Prophecy Realised REDU-EN058
For getting over big monsters. This gives any Spellcaster type monster 1000 more ATK for the turn and if it can destroy a monster in battle, it lets you search for a Spellbook Spell.

Run 1-2

Spellbook of Eternity

Lesson 02: The Prophecy Realised 20130729194317
So remember that High Priestess banishes your Spellbooks? Well thanks to Eternity, they don't stay there. Eternity lets you add any banished Spellbook spell to your hand (except Eternity of course). Makes for great reusablity.

Run 2

Spellbook Library of the Cresent

Lesson 02: The Prophecy Realised Spellbook-Library-of-the-Crescent_REDU-EN087
Lets you reveal 3 different Spellbook Spells and randomly get one added to your hand but only if you have no Spellbooks in your graveyard and you can only play Spellbook Spells this turn.

Run 2-3

Spellbook of the Master

Lesson 02: The Prophecy Realised Mast
Now almost all Spellbook Spells have the restriction of only allowing you to play one of them per turn (like 1 Secrets per turn, 1 Power, etc) but the master lets you copy the effect of ANY Normal Spellbook Spell card from your graveyard. Sweet!

Run 2-3

Spellbook Star Hall

Lesson 02: The Prophecy Realised 20130730181556!SpellbookStarHall-ABYR-EN-R-1E
The only continuous Spellbook card. It gains Spell Counters for each Spellbook Spell played and grants an extra 100 ATK for each one. Plus if it pops, you get to fetch a Spellcaster with a level equal to or less than the number of counters it had.

Run 0-1

The Grand Spellbook Tower

Lesson 02: The Prophecy Realised 920994
Argueably the best of the Books, the Field Spell lets you recycle your Grave'd Books and draw a card. Wild right? I mean, sending a used Spellbook to the bottom of the deck and drawing all at the cost of having a Spellcaster on the field or in the Grave. Oh and it gets popped by the opponent you Special Summon a Spellcaster with a level up to the number of Books in the Graveyard (including itself)

Run 2-3

Spellbook of Wisdom

Lesson 02: The Prophecy Realised 727426
The shield spell. This quick play let's you give Spell or Trap immunity to 1 Spellcaster. This is one of the few that doesn't have the "one per turn" rule.

Run 2

Spellbook of Fate

Lesson 02: The Prophecy Realised 67259
The only one hit by the Limited list, Fate has 3 unique effects based on how many Spellbooks you banish for it. Bounce a set backrow, Book of Moon, or outright banish a card (without having to target!)

Run 1 (Run 3 if it were legal xD)

Spellbook of Life

Lesson 02: The Prophecy Realised 727425
Their own Premature Burial. A cost of revealing a Spellbook from hand and banishing a Spellcaster from the Graveyard to Special Summon any Spellcaster from the Grave, but its level is increased by the level of the banished Spellcaster too.

Run 1-2

Spellbook of Miracles and Spellbook Library of the Heliosphere

Neither are good enough to be used, so i wouldn't even touch them.

The Extra Deck

Hierophant of Prophecy

Lesson 02: The Prophecy Realised HierophantofProphecy-REDU-EN-UR-UE

The Prophecy rank 7. By detaching a material, he can destroy the opponent's backrow for each Spellbook spell in your Graveyard. Pretty handy in a format without Heavy Storm or Giant Trunade.

Run 1

Empress of Prophecy

Lesson 02: The Prophecy Realised 300?cb=20140821172000

The rank 5. She let's you reveal 5 cards, after you shuffle, off the top of your deck and destroy monsters up to the number of Spellbook spells you reveal and arrange those 5 in any order you please. Not superb, but not at all bad.

Run 1

Number 11: Big Eye

Lesson 02: The Prophecy Realised Latest?cb=20140120115753

Everyone knows this guy. Rank 7 that steals monsters. Prophecy ends up with good rank 7 materials, so why would you not run this? Plus he's a Spellcaster and benefits from Power, Wisdom, and let's you use Master and Fate.

Run 1-2

Mecha Phantom Beast Dracossack

Lesson 02: The Prophecy Realised Latest?cb=20140829073301

Another commonly seen rank 7. Good as a reserve card in tight spots.

Run 1

Gachi Gachi Gantetsu

Lesson 02: The Prophecy Realised Latest?cb=20120616113608

Plenty of times, you'll find yourself with 2 Spellbook Magicians on board. Gachi here let's you make better use of them than attack fodder.

Run 1

Shining Elf

Lesson 02: The Prophecy Realised 300?cb=20130629182751

Similar to Gachi's role but Elf here is also a Spellcaster. Whereas Gachi will buff your monsters, Elf will cripple the opponent.

Run 0-1

Stardust Dragon

Lesson 02: The Prophecy Realised Latest?cb=20110904222533

If you ever have Tuners, make sure you have a Stardust. He's kind of a big deal. Everyone likes being able to stop Raigeki's, MSTs and the like.

Run 0-1

The Prophecy's Downfall

Like any deck, Prophecy has its weaknesses. The biggest weakness is being cut off from its Spellbooks. Cursed Seal, Eradicator Epidemic Virus, and even Anti-Spell Fragrance can seriously cripple this deck. Imperial Iron Wall can stop their Fate and Priestess plays as well.

Macro Cosmos and even Dimensional Fissure are harmful to the deck as well because they run the risk of losing all their key cards before they can get a chance to recycle them.

Droll & Lock Bird is a great counter as well, stopping their search power, which is their primary drive. Vanity's Emptiness halts their summons from Temperance and keeps Priestess at bay. Combine Vanity and Macro and they're not doing much for a while.

Effect Veiler, Fiendish Chain and Breakthrough Skill can be helpful in stopping Spellbook Magician and thereby throwing a wrench in their well-oiled machine.

If you think you know Prophecy, then I'd like to hear from you all as well. Participation this week will simply be discussion. What do you feel are the pros and cons of the deck? Is it still viable? Does it have a chance in today's metagame? Speak your mind and don't be shy.

DP will be awarded for participation, up to 300 DP.

(Bonus DP can be given if you can find something I missed or did incorrectly. I'm not perfect you know~)

Last edited by ☆Foxie Roxie☆ on Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:26 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Maiden Slayer's input~)
Back to top Go down
Ω≈Siren's Song≈Ω
Tourney Manager
Tourney Manager
Ω≈Siren's Song≈Ω

Warnings : No Warning

PostSubject: Re: Lesson 02: The Prophecy Realised   Lesson 02: The Prophecy Realised EmptyTue Jan 06, 2015 2:07 pm

Very good! I would love to see what you can do with a mist wind valley harpie deck, as its a challenge since it's a hybrid deck, if you have done meta, and a rogue deck, why not try the third type?
Back to top Go down
Shrek
Founder
Founder

Losses : 0
Wins : 1

PostSubject: Re: Lesson 02: The Prophecy Realised   Lesson 02: The Prophecy Realised EmptyTue Jan 06, 2015 2:11 pm

not sure why you would run only 1-2 priestess in a priestess build but ok guy
Back to top Go down
Nottu
Teacher
Nottu

PostSubject: Re: Lesson 02: The Prophecy Realised   Lesson 02: The Prophecy Realised EmptyTue Jan 06, 2015 2:13 pm

My numbers are there for variants of the build as well, Drewzer. Most of the builds I found normally only had 2 of her as to not clog up.
Back to top Go down
TopGun
The King
The King
TopGun

Warnings : First Warning
Losses : 1

PostSubject: Re: Lesson 02: The Prophecy Realised   Lesson 02: The Prophecy Realised EmptyTue Jan 06, 2015 2:34 pm

AS i said in CB good Job on Opening a window for new prophecy players to look at. Guide is enjoyable well presented and the only comment i had was on the "count" you gave out which we discussed in CB. For Purposes il just name my counts (keep in mind this is my PERSONAL PREFERENCE and not a MUST)

Wisdom: 1-2 Never 3
Fate:1 (if unli 2 tops) never 3
Priestess: 1-2 If world build 2-3 if Priestess (Usually 3 given we need her out early this format since its a speedy format)

Tower: 2 Period.

Justice: World = 0-1 Priestess = 2-3 (i pReffer 3 beacsue we need her out early)

Temperance: World = 3 (you can run 2 idk but 3 is ideal IMO) Priestess = 0-1 (i run 0 its bad in this build but some can run 1 for idk there personal prefference)

Yup thats about it and again Good Job for ur first Book article Smile
Back to top Go down
Nottu
Teacher
Nottu

PostSubject: Re: Lesson 02: The Prophecy Realised   Lesson 02: The Prophecy Realised EmptyTue Jan 06, 2015 3:11 pm

Not sure how my Tower count says to use more than 2 lol. Might have been in writing mode and overlooked it.

Thanks for the feedback!
Back to top Go down
Jesse S.

PostSubject: Re: Lesson 02: The Prophecy Realised   Lesson 02: The Prophecy Realised EmptyTue Jan 06, 2015 3:27 pm

Well I played prophecy last month a bit on devpro. And I actually like Reaper of Prophecy. Especially since I abused the crap out of star hall. Monsters easily hitting 4k+ atk. At the same time when I have a lot of banished spellbooks he lets me bring out wheel of prophecy which let me put as many spellbooks into my grave and shuffle the rest into the deck. Which let me abuse Fate a lot more. Spellbooks could do well against the current meta as long as every turn you use fate as that can tear up the meta a bit. Reaper of Prophecy also gives you fodder to BLS if you need a dark. Which can push the game even harder. Imagine 2 Priestess on Field (or 1) And a BLS banishing with BLS and popping with Priestess. Over all I think the deck has some solid match ups. Sadly though it is kind of slow compared to BA and Qliphorts on establishing a board. The deck won't really care about shaddolls midrash or construct as you can either pop construct or attack over midrash. Also if you just want to abuse the atk boosts you can get from hall I would run 3 Hermit as that attack does add up letting him get over Apoqliphort Towers or anything really. Just my thoughts on the deck.
Back to top Go down
ToFeelTheLifeOfOthers
War Manager
ToFeelTheLifeOfOthers

PostSubject: Re: Lesson 02: The Prophecy Realised   Lesson 02: The Prophecy Realised EmptyTue Jan 06, 2015 9:36 pm

If youre running BLS and star hall in spell books you should probably stop playing spellbooks

Star hall really only slows the deck down now on top of gimping your starting hand, i'd rather open any trap than hall. BLS really does not belong in this deck. He will sit in your hand dead 90% of the time and by the time you get him lined up to do something youre losing.

You also kinda forgot to mention Daigusto phoenix, Herald of pure light, and downerd magician(<---kind of a biggie to forget)

Phoenix turns your 2 blue boys into a 1500 atk double swing, which you can stack into downerd in main phase 2 so that you keep a spellcaster on the field for fate to be live.

Herald can fix up bad hands by detaching blue boy, and then adding him back to hand( or priestess), and returning a dead spellbook to deck, like crescent, lategame

Downerd is downerd, its a rank 4 spellcaster that pierces and turns all your non spellcaster rank 2's into spellcasters. This helps alot because there are turns where you want to do big damage or fix your hand, but cant afford to really give up the spellcasters youve got on field. This lets you go into phoenix for big damage or do other stuff, and then go back into a spellcaster so your cards stay live.
Back to top Go down
KidChaos

KidChaos

PostSubject: Re: Lesson 02: The Prophecy Realised   Lesson 02: The Prophecy Realised EmptyTue Jan 06, 2015 10:13 pm

ToFeelTheLifeOfOthers wrote:
If youre running BLS and star hall in spell books you should probably stop playing spellbooks

Star hall really only slows the deck down now on top of gimping your starting hand, i'd rather open any trap than hall. BLS really does not belong in this deck. He will sit in your hand dead 90% of the time and by the time you get him lined up to do something youre losing.

You also kinda forgot to mention Daigusto phoenix, Herald of pure light, and downerd magician(<---kind of a biggie to forget)

Phoenix turns your 2 blue boys into a 1500 atk double swing, which you can stack into downerd in main phase 2 so that you keep a spellcaster on the field for fate to be live.

Herald can fix up bad hands by detaching blue boy, and then adding him back to hand( or priestess), and returning a dead spellbook to deck, like crescent, lategame

Downerd is downerd, its a rank 4 spellcaster that pierces and turns all your non spellcaster rank 2's into spellcasters. This helps alot because there are turns where you want to do big damage or fix your hand, but cant afford to really give up the spellcasters youve got on field. This lets you go into phoenix for big damage or do other stuff, and then go back into a spellcaster so your cards stay live.

Welp Brah...right now you just saved me a hell of a lot of writing, so thank you. Starhall at anything is slow, but if your the type of duelist that doesn't like holding back your hand and just wasting every spellbook you get starhall at 1 will work for you. BLS....is just...no. 

Priestess is best at 2 because we don't want clogging
Temperance at 2
World at 1 

At most in any spellbook deck you should have about 12-13 monsters and the rest being your spellbooks itself.
Back to top Go down
ToFeelTheLifeOfOthers
War Manager
ToFeelTheLifeOfOthers

PostSubject: Re: Lesson 02: The Prophecy Realised   Lesson 02: The Prophecy Realised EmptyTue Jan 06, 2015 10:20 pm

I almost forgot to mention Ghostrick Socuteboss

ghostrick socuteboss is an interesting card in it's own right. It's another rank 2 spellcaster. It's effect allows it to pick a monster on the field with less attack than all the ghostricks you control, combined(which means just counting herself, anything with less than 1400) and then destroy it. Then, if you do, that monster zone cannot be used while you have a ghostrick, and Socuteboss is on the field. Socuteboss counts herself for this block, so as long as she is on the field, and her effect is active, that monster zone is now blocked out, meaning they have 1 less space to place monsters on the board. Where this becomes really interesting is that Socuteboss, is a SPELLCASTER. so you can increase its attack with book of Power, to 2400 or even 3400 with a master combo, and then anything with 2300 or 3300 attack on the field, is now poppable by socuteboss. On top of this we can also add in the downerd play if we just want to get rid of a pesky mini-monster, on our way towards making a beater.
Back to top Go down
Nottu
Teacher
Nottu

PostSubject: Re: Lesson 02: The Prophecy Realised   Lesson 02: The Prophecy Realised EmptyWed Jan 07, 2015 3:11 am

Such excellent points and varying views! Socuteboss is a great option to tech in.

I won't lie, I didn't mention the other Xyz choices due to my wanting to hurry and finish the lesson before midnight, so thanks for adding those!
Back to top Go down
Hero
Assistant
Assistant
Hero

Warnings : First Warning
Losses : 1
Wins : 3

PostSubject: Re: Lesson 02: The Prophecy Realised   Lesson 02: The Prophecy Realised EmptyWed Jan 07, 2015 4:31 am

I wish ChiChi was here to post.But nice guide.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lesson 02: The Prophecy Realised   Lesson 02: The Prophecy Realised Empty

Back to top Go down

Lesson 02: The Prophecy Realised
Page 1 of 1