North Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Duel Academy for everyone!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
The academy has been shut down, please click here for more details.

Types of Monster Effects

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
dark magician 85
Teacher
dark magician 85

Immune to warnings? : No
Warnings : No Warning

Types of Monster Effects Empty
PostSubject: Types of Monster Effects   Types of Monster Effects EmptySat Jan 18, 2014 7:38 am

If you play the game if yugioh, you learn that all monsters effects are classified in different classes. All these different types of effects influence the game in some way, shape, or form. This lesson is all about differentiating from the different effects as in whats different, so lets start.

To start, we are gonna dive into the easiest one which is Flip Effects. A flip effect is an effect that can occur when the monster is flipped face-up by a card effect, by battle, or by just being flipped summoned. These effects are traditionally started with the word Flip in front. An example would be Man-Eater Bug's effect, Flip: Target one monster on the field; Destroy that target.

Next, we are going to go into Continuous effects. These are effects that are always active and do not ever leave, unless it leaves the field. Continuous effects never activate and just sitting there as a condition in the game or something. Many people unfortunately do not understand how these work around cards like Skill Drain, Shadow-Imprisoning Mirror, and Light-Imprisoning Mirror. Skill Drain negates all effects on the field straight and simple so there is no effect. Both mirrors facing their respective type say negate all effects activated on the field and graveyard. This means that they only negate activation and Continuous Effects do not activate because they are just there. An example of a Continuous Effect would be Evilswarm Ophion's effect that stops all level 5 or higher monsters from being special summoned.

Now, we go into Trigger Effects. Trigger Effects are effects that activate at specific times in the game. A Trigger Effect can be anything from "When this card is destroyed by battle" to "during the standby phase". Just as long as it has some condition on it, you know its a trigger effect. An example of a trigger effect is Spellbook Magician of Prophecy. His effect reads: When this card is Normal Summoned or flipped face-up: Add 1 "Spellbook" Spell Card from your Deck to your hand.

The next effect we are going over is Ignition effects. These are effects you choose to activate whenever you wish to activate them. Some have some conditions that must be paid but the condition does not make them Trigger Effects, its just something that must happen. Now one that gets mixed up a lot is Justice of Prophecy. This monster reads: During your End Phase, if you activated a "Spellbook" Spell Card previously this turn: You can banish this card from the field; add both 1 Level 5 or higher LIGHT or DARK Spellcaster-Type monster and 1 "Spellbook" Spell Card from your Deck to your hand. You can only use the effect of "Justice of Prophecy" once per turn. The reason why this card is an Ignition Effect rather than a Trigger effect is because there is specific timing on it like being normal summoned or destroyed by battle, it just activates in the end phase.

The last type of effect is the quick effect. Unlike every other monster effect in the game this effect has two characteristics that separate them from the other effects. One is that they are spell speed 2, and two is that they can be activated on either players turn. These cards can be picked out because of the wording "You can activate this card during either player's turn" or something of the variation. Also some cards specify that they are Quick Effects like Kuriboh's effect: During your opponent's turn, at damage calculation: You can discard this card; you take no battle damage from that battle (this is a Quick Effect). An example of a quick effect that doesn't specify is Doomcalibur Knight's effect: Cannot be Special Summoned. During either player's turn, when a monster effect is activated: Tribute this face-up card; negate the activation, and if you do, destroy that monster.

So this has been my lesson on the different monster effects, and I hope you found it quite useful and clear. If it wasn't clear I recommend coming to me for explanation and such. But for now this is dark magician 85 and im signing off.
Back to top Go down
LockTop
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
LockTop

PostSubject: Re: Types of Monster Effects   Types of Monster Effects EmptySat Jan 18, 2014 7:48 am

Nice Dark, nice to be reminded of the different monster effects and I learned stuff I didn't know before!
Back to top Go down
! Prince
Obelisk Blue
Obelisk Blue

PostSubject: Re: Types of Monster Effects   Types of Monster Effects EmptySat Jan 18, 2014 9:10 am

I wish you organized it a bit and used some pictures to make it look pretty :/ I just read over it to check for errors; I didn't see any.
Back to top Go down
Kalin Kessler
Founder
Founder
Kalin Kessler

lost souls(darkshop currency) : 43
Immune to warnings? : Yes
Losses : 1

PostSubject: Re: Types of Monster Effects   Types of Monster Effects EmptySat Jan 18, 2014 10:04 am

Tha t was a nice lesson dark.Congratz
Back to top Go down
https://northacademy.forummotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Types of Monster Effects   Types of Monster Effects Empty

Back to top Go down

Types of Monster Effects
Page 1 of 1