North Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Duel Academy for everyone!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
The academy has been shut down, please click here for more details.

Should Last Will be unbanned?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Neko
NOOB
Neko

lost souls(darkshop currency) : 2
Immune to warnings? : No
Losses : 1
Wins : 5

Should Last Will be unbanned? Empty
PostSubject: Should Last Will be unbanned?   Should Last Will be unbanned? EmptySun Nov 22, 2015 8:26 am

Now, I'm going to be stealing this thread from someone on DNF, so I want you all to give your thoughts about it.
Should Last Will be unbanned? Ahszmx10
Normal Spell Card
If a monster on your side of the field was sent to your Graveyard this turn, you can Special Summon 1 monster with an ATK of 1500 points or less from your Deck once during this turn. Then shuffle your Deck.

No deck in the meta can use it
No deck in DOCS can use it
No deck in BOSH can use it
If Konami pushes a Pendulum format until the next series, literally nobody will be able to use Last Will.

So let's look at what Last Will returning might do to the current format:

Shaddoll - summon Hedge / Falco after fusing a monster from the field. Whoop-de-do.
Qliphort - can't use it at all
BA - basically another Graff except you can't grab half of them and you can't trigger it for a detach. Basically the only time it works is with Fire Lake, summoning Virgil, or when you intentionally make a BA self-destruct, in which case the BA you summon off Last Will also blows up. Literally having any BA monster in hand is superior to having Last Will.
Tellar - summon Deneb or Vega, but only on a turn where you run into a Torrential or activate Alpha. And you have to activate Last Will preemptively, which means if your opponent doesn't do anything, Last Will is wasted.
RB - can't be used because nothing is sent from field to grave.
Kozmo - when would you send your own Kozmo ships to the grave on your own turn? In the case of Dark Hole, Last Will could be replaced by ETele, Kozmotown retrieving Farmgirl, or multiple other cards in the deck
Infernoid - summon Deka / Trooper / Lumina after tributing with Attondel for the OTK. If your opponent does that, you're likely to lose whether they summon a Deka or not, especially since Deka + Attondel makes 9+ and you can't summon anything after that.
YZ - extra combo piece for Synchros, raises the ceiling of a deck that receives next to no representation at the top
HERO - you're going to trigger Will by using Mask Change on Shadow Mist, so what are you going to summon, Bubbleman?

Let's look at what's coming later:
NicEMeme: only way to trigger yourself it is by using Direwolf, literally nothing else can trigger it on your own turn.
Majespecter: all Pendulums, none of which will get sent from field to grave
Igknight: see above
Atlantean: maybe when you summon Trish, but when you summon Trish, why didn't you win already?

No decks that are projected in the meta actually care about Last Will, it's a 1/40, good luck trying to draw it and trigger it when you're playing any of the decks in the meta.

If anyone can give a legitimate argument for why Last Will should not come back, have at it.

As a preemptive statement, "it's broken in Traditional look at all the broken things it does!!!" is not a valid argument, because in Traditional, you've probably also used Future Fusion, Pot of Greed, Graceful Charity, and Pot of Avarice that same turn.
Back to top Go down
Shameless
Slifer Red
Slifer Red
Shameless

Wins : 1

PostSubject: Re: Should Last Will be unbanned?   Should Last Will be unbanned? EmptySun Nov 22, 2015 10:32 am

Although the logic behind this is strong, as a lot of the top contenders either don't have legit targets, or they have their own mechanic to summoning said monsters (Like Mermails and Ritual Beasts), and pendulum decks do have a tough time deliberately sending monsters to the grave

However, other decks do (massively) benefit from the interaction of Last Will. Kozmo can blow up their own 3k beatstick with its own effect, summon their next strongest monster, and then have another way (other than e-tele) to summon Farm Girl.
And a large number of pendulum deck have ways of just simply blowing up their own cards and sending them to the grave. Other than the Performage Engine (where at least 2 cards like going from field -> grave), people can just simply run Direwolf to pop a card of yours.
And I know people would do this, because people at Anaheim run 4 cards (3 Brilliant Fusion + 1 Garnet) in decks where they didn't belong JUST so that they could get off a specific combo. People run silly and stupid shit in their decks if it can mean throwing out extremely powerful combos.

But, with all that said, I don't think it could change the game all that much. The decks that could use it consistently are all synchro-based, and thus they'd all get a decent push (which would be nice, in my eyes, considering they're poorly represented in the metagame).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Should Last Will be unbanned?   Should Last Will be unbanned? EmptySun Nov 22, 2015 12:34 pm

Tbh, that does kind of sound just a tab bit broken. Its pretty much a splash able searcher for anything with 1500 or less.

Maybe banning it might be a bit much but i at least think it should be limited.
Back to top Go down
Rissy

Rissy

PostSubject: Re: Should Last Will be unbanned?   Should Last Will be unbanned? EmptySun Nov 22, 2015 1:59 pm

The card certainly wouldn't cause as much impact as snatch steal and monster reborn coming back, when they did. However stating that it would make no impact at all is just foolish. With how the game is played currently, there is no issue with sending monsters to the grave, regardless of what deck you play, so long as there is a target worth netting. Sure, it is not broken in every deck the meta plays, but the ones that it can be used in would get a very generic boost, that others would not be able to make use of, which just adds more power to those decks. Snatch steal was good in every deck, so it was always just a fair use of an unfair card for everyone, so no deck really became more powerful than another because of it. It was just a measure of how good snatch steal was on its own.

The last bit as to why last will should not come back has also already been stated. It boosts a lot of other decks that we don't have in the meta already, plus it can always boost other archetypes down the line. Just because you don't think it will, doesn't mean it won't. Players are always looking for a new deck to make. Which just leads to the scariest thing that this card would support, ftks. Certain decks need a solid dig for combo pieces. Last Will is that in a nutshell. It just puts on board the piece you want, for free pretty much. This would make it all the easier for those degenerate quasar plays, setting up super boards, giving combo decks an extra material to use, ect. What might not be meta, could just become meta. One card can do a lot for a deck and idk about you guys, but I don't want to see something liek chicken game have a way to fetch a library with wonder wand or something. lol

Side note, this in that new pendulum combo deck would be pretty scary. No thank you, yes, please?!
Back to top Go down
(RPFC) Shiki
Ra Yellow
Ra Yellow
(RPFC) Shiki

Warnings : No Warning

PostSubject: Re: Should Last Will be unbanned?   Should Last Will be unbanned? EmptySun Nov 22, 2015 10:09 pm

If they unbann lastwill then they can also unbann sangan and witch of the blackforest i think
so yes and no but i think it will some decks maby a bit too strong when the new ones are released
Back to top Go down
Neko
NOOB
Neko

lost souls(darkshop currency) : 2
Wins : 5

PostSubject: Re: Should Last Will be unbanned?   Should Last Will be unbanned? EmptyMon Nov 23, 2015 1:26 pm

@(RPFC) Shiki, they could Sangan because it's mechanically the same as Last Will, but worse, but that does not mean they could unban witch. Yes, it seems in the current format that they could unban it but it just isn't on the same range of power that Last Will and Sangan are. Witch is much more powerful than both of them are, seeing as it can search out large, relevant monsters whereas Sangan and last and ll bring out relatively irrelevant monsters and are just too slow in general. I think they could bring back all three. None of them will be relevant in any deck, but there is a clear difference in power for what they do between each card.
@Rissy seeing as the card clearly states being sent from the field to the graveyard, xyz material are out of the picture and pendulum monsters are out of the picture. Kozmo rarely send from the field during the grave during their turn, unless you're using Dark Destroyer on another one of your monsters, by which time you're already winning the game presumably. Last Will can only be used on your turn and can only be used if a monster is sent from your field to the grave. Last Will is 1 card out of 40 (if not more) that isn't able to be searched. It isn't like Raigeki, which is always active unless your opponent simply does not have monsters, no, it has activation requirements and those rrequirements won't always be met. It can easily be a dead card. Also, like I said before, it is 1 card out of 40. One unreachable card will not boost rogue ddecks enough to do ANYTHING relevant. The current relevant decks can't abuse it successfully enough for it to make any kind of impact, so I'll stand by my statement of it making no impact in the format or meta.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Should Last Will be unbanned?   Should Last Will be unbanned? Empty

Back to top Go down

Should Last Will be unbanned?
Page 1 of 1